The Stocker Foundation operates "Little Libraries" throughout the county.
LaGrange Community Park Usage Application Permit Required
A Permit shall be obtained from the Park Board or authorized representative before participating in any special use or activity at the park. A person, organization or business seeking issuance of a permit shall file an application with the Park Board and ATTEND the Park Board meeting on the date the application will be considered by the Park Board. Applicants will be notified by the Park Board of the date their request will be considered. Please review the complete Park Rules prior to submitting an application for consideration.
A person seeking issuance of a permit for pavilion reservations shall file an application with the Park Board using the “Park Use and Event Form”. Pavilion reservation requests may be submitted to the Park Board via US Mail or given to a Park Board member. Meeting attendance is NOT required for pavilion reservations.
Park Board Meetings are on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of every month, 7 PM at LaGrange Village Hall.
Forms and Documents – Downloadable documents containing Park Rules, Hold Harmless Release and Park Use and Event Forms are available on this web page or may be picked up at LaGrange Village Hall during business hours.
Return Requests to – LaGrange Community Park Board, PO Box 397, LaGrange, OH 44050
Keystone-LaGrange Library , a branch of the Elyria Public Library System
LaGrange Community Park, Route 303 West, currently owned and operated jointly by the Village of LaGrange and the Township of LaGrange.
The Scattering Garden at River Road Cemetery was completed in 2016 and is one of the few currently in Ohio. A gazebo with seating has been installed in the center at the request of several residents. Ash scattering is fast becoming a low cost means that can also offer the opportunity to lay someone to rest in a ‘space’ they loved while still being memorialized. Scattering cremated remains is a symbolic gesture and could be interpreted as such by the biblical reference of “ashes to ashes, dust to dust”. For information on the Scattering Garden please contact Mike at 440-355-5141.
Civil War Union Brevet Brigadier General.
Born in Caroline, New York, he was a lawyer in practice in New York City, New York at the start of the Civil War when he was commissioned as a Major of the 1st New York Volunteer Cavalry. Promoted Lieutenant Colonel in May 1862, he participated September 1862 Antietam Campaign. In June 1863 he was promoted Colonel and commander of the 1st New York Cavalry and led his troops at the July 1863 Battle of Gettysburg. For the remainder of the war his regiment was part of the support cavalry for the Army of the Potomac in actions in Virginia and participated in the final campaigns up to the surrender of Confederate General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox. For gallant and meritorious services, he was brevetted Brigadier General, US Volunteers on March 13, 1865. After the war, he resumed his legal career until his death at age 66 in in Lagrange, Ohio. (bio by: John "J-Cat" Griffith)
Old Glory Grange Hall- The Township Trustees purchased the Old Glory Grange Hall in 2009 after the disbandment of the Old Glory Grange. It is now where the township holds its meetings.
The Grange, officially referred to as The National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, is a fraternal organization in the United States that encourages families to band together to promote the economic and political well-being of the community and agriculture. The Patrons of Husbandry, or the Grange, was founded in 1867 to advance methods of agriculture, as well as to promote the social and economic needs of farmers in the United States. The decline in membership and cost of maintaining the hall was the end of the organization.
Sherman Circle, Downtown LaGrange, owned and maintained by LaGrange Township Trustees. On Memorial Day in 1903 a large Civil War memorial was erected in the central square, where the four roads that define our place in the larger rural grid meet. The memorial is ordinary, if large—almost every town in the area has one—but the people of LaGrange were atypically zealous about the Civil War for northerners. General Sherman faced north for the first decade of his life. In 1913, he was turned to face south, with the explanation given that “a good soldier never turned his back on the enemy”
LaGrange Township Veteran's Park, On Route 303 West, dedicated on May 29 th ,1945.
The highlight of the park is the LaGrange Veterans Memorial and is a place of “HONOR” to pay tribute and remember our LaGrange Veterans who served in the armed forces of the United States. Their commitment to protect the freedoms of
our great nation is forever remembered. In 1999, a community fundraising project began to construct a new Veterans Memorial at the park. Support came from LaGrange Township Trustees, LaGrange Village, local businesses and our citizens. On Veterans Day, November 11th , 2000 a ceremony was held to dedicate the new LaGrange Township Veterans Memorial.
Other amenities include a playground, picnic pavilion, tennis courts and basketball courts. The tennis courts were installed as a cooperative effort by the Township Trustees and Village Council with the Township paying two thirds of the future costs of maintainence. The basketball courts were paid for partially with an ODNR Natureworks grant awarded to the Township with former Mayor Donna Stewart cutting the dedication ribbon along with the township trustees.
Keystone-Lagrange Community Library, The Board of Trustees worked in conjunction with the Elyria Library System to create a branch at the Veteran's Park. In 2015 the Trustees agreed to sell the building and a portion of the land to the Elyria Library System to allow them to build on to the current building. If for any reason in the future it would cease to be a functional library or the Library would change hands, the ownership would revert back to the township. After the branch came to LaGrange, the Friends of the Keystone-LaGrange Library was formed and are active in promoting and fund raising for our branch.
LaGrange Cemetery, Corner of Route 303 and West Street inside the Village of LaGrange. Established 1818 by original settlers in the township of LaGrange. When the Village became incorporated they assumed the maintenance of the cemetery. In the 1950's the Village of LaGrange gave the care and maintenance responsibility of the cemetery back to the township. In recent years the State of Ohio has prohibited townships from spending funds inside of an incorporation on property they do not own. In 2018 the Township Trustees turned the maintenance of the cemetery back over to the Village of LaGrange to follow State law.
River Road Cemetery, Indian Hollow just south of Route 303. Established 1842.
Rockwood Cemetery, Diagonal Road, between Biggs Road and Parsons. Established 1827.
Jackson Cemetery, Webster Road, West of Diagonal Road, maintenance of this cemetery is shared between LaGrange Township, Wellington township, Penfield Township and Pittsfield Township.
Deborah Zarbaugh, Secretary